CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Santarcangelo dei Teatri is calling for proposals for the Artistic Direction of Santarcangelo Festival.
All applications must be submitted by February 10, 2020.
The Artistic Direction contract will be for three years, covering the 2021, 2022 and 2023 editions.
Santarcangelo dei Teatri
Santarcangelo dei Teatri is a non-profit organization with legal status, created in 1994. It is the organizing institution for Santarcangelo Festival, recognized by the Italian Ministry of Culture and and Tourism as a multidisciplinary festival.
First held in 1971 as Santarcangelo Festival Internazionale del Teatro in Piazza, it is the oldest festival in Italy dedicated to contemporary performing arts and one of the most significant in the European world of theatre and dance. The Festival has always been marked by its international dimension on the one hand and its relationship with the public space on the other. It was born at the crossroads between these two dimensions – constantly being rethought and rearticulated – that have always characterized it: the international artistic presence and its relationship with the public space of Santarcangelo and with its citizens as a community.
The Association’s activities continue throughout the year, with gatherings and events aimed at nurturing the local theatrical culture by hosting artists in residency and curating projects designed for the local community. In summer the Festival explodes for ten days in July, where the presence of artists, creations, performances, seminars, workshops and meetings contributes to the incredible intensity of the event. Santarcangelo Festival builds up a temporary community of artists, citizens and spectators, who gather around contemporary performing arts. It is a festival where creation takes place: it commissions and co-produces artistic projects; it works with national and international cultural institutions and artistic organizations; it creates a discourse on the relationship between art, the city and the public context. Over 50 years, the Festival has been directed by both artists and curators.
ARTISTIC DIRECTION: MISSION
The Artistic Direction of Santarcangelo Festival runs the following activities:
– managing the Festival programme;
– managing the annual projects;
– managing relations with the artists taking part in the Festival;
– defining and coordinating the Festival’s communications strategy;
– promoting the image of the Festival to the public, the artistic and cultural community, the media;
– managing relations with both formal and informal international networks on creating and taking part in European projects;
– managing relations with foreign (i.e. non-Italian) cultural institutes and art councils;
– taking part in meetings of the Board of Directors, on invitation.
Acting in cooperation with the General Manager in:
– representing the Festival with local, regional, national and international public bodies;
– managing relations with private sponsors and supporters;
– drafting requests for contributions to be submitted to public and private bodies;
– coordinating the operations of the team.
ROLE IN THE ORGANIZATION
The Artistic Direction works in collaboration with the General Manager, the Administration Manager, the Production Manager and the Communications Manager; it supervises the activities of collaborators and consultants. The Artistic Direction is accountable to the Board.
– documented experience in managing cultural projects in the contemporary performing arts;
– familiarity with the national (i.e. Italian) and international performing arts system (artists, associations, government bodies, critics, operators);
– ability to manage complex work processes;
– attention towards an inlcusive and non-discriminatory working space and processes.
The gross annual remuneration is set at a maximum of € 40,000.00 per year, inclusive of tax and social security premiums payable by the subject.
The candidate or candidates are requested to send a copy of his/her/their detailed resumes together with a letter (maximum 1200 words) outlining their reasons for applying and providing project guidelines that will help to demonstrate why they are interested in taking on the task.
When setting out their project guidelines, candidates are requested to have in mind the vision of the Festival as defined by the Board of Directors, which identifies its strongly international character, its year-round activity, and its nature as Festival of creation as its central elements. Special attention will be paid to the way in which the project is defined in terms of relationship between the artistic project, the public space and the citizens as a community. The evaluation of each application and the appointment of the Artistic Direction is responsibility of the Santarcangelo dei Teatri Board of Directors. The decision will be assisted by the General Manager and may also call upon the assistance of external consultants.
Candidates whose applications are judged as being closest to the guidelines expressed by the Board of Directors will be invited to an interview, by direct call. The Artistic Direction will have a duration of three years with effect from August 2020. Interested persons are invited to send their resume and project outlines by no later than February 10, 2020, as follows:
– by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt sent to Santarcangelo dei Teatri, via Andrea Costa 28, 47822 Santarcangelo di Romagna – Italy, together with a copy in PDF format e-mailed to email@example.com;
– by certified electronic mail, only from a personal (not a business) box to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information or questions, please contact General Manager Roberto Naccari (+39 0541 626185 – email@example.com).
Santarcangelo dei Teatri pledges to uphold the privacy of and treat in the strictest confidence the content of such demonstrations of interest as they may receive and not to divulge the same to a third party without the written consent of the party or parties in question. In particular it pledges to treat in the strictest confidence all personal data and any indications concerning projects. The level of confidentiality thus pledged shall be lower in the case of any information originating in the public domain for reasons not attributable to the Association.